Ready to get weekly recipes, cooking tips, and more delivered straight to your inbox? Directions. It was a cold day in the hills (about -4°C) but it was also a clear crisp and bright day. 351 calories; calories from fat 0%; fat 7.1g; saturated fat 2.8g; mono fat 2.3g; poly fat 0.8g; protein 13.5g; carbohydrates 60.1g; fiber 7.4g; cholesterol 8mg; iron 2.3mg; sodium 740mg; calcium 211mg. This post may contain affiliate links. But since one of my food hero’s, Rick Stein, did a series on the BBC recently where he toured around Mexico and tasted lots of recipes, I’ve kind of been more into it! They would be best warmed up in the microwave – turning once and flipping over once while cooking. great result, the beans are yummy and full of flavor. Tastes absolutely delicious too! Add more salt to taste. Never miss another delicious recipe again! Place mixture in the centre. Lovely! Slow cooker budget bean burritos are the perfect recipe for feeding the family and letting you get on with other things in the meantime!Click to Tweet. ... together! Honestly, I think you can use it with every bean … I use it for chickpeas and for various white beans. Cook on high for 8 hours, adding more water as needed. Perfect! Also, Sometimes I just throw in some taco seasoning.). This means that if you click on it and then buy that product I’ll get a small commission (at no extra cost to you of course). Easy in the slow cooker and who doesn’t love a good burrito! In the base of your slow cooker dump all ingredients up to diced green chillies. It was great with the sour cream and salsa, although I think it is only enough to feel 4 or 6 people. Start off by opening the 2 cans of beans and rinsing and draining them really well. Cover and cook on LOW 5 hours ore until sweet potato is tender. We are trying navy beans in the slow cooker next! will use this recipe over and over. The rice was tender and the majority of the liquid had been absorbed. Glad you like these, and thanks always for taking the time to comment. Slow cooker budget bean burritos are the perfect recipe for feeding the family and letting you get on with other things in the meantime! Sounds delicious, Neil! Enjoy! Let’s make cashew cream...⁣ So glad you approve! Pour one can of enchilada sauce over the top. Slow Cooker Black Bean and Sweet Potato Burritos with Avocado Cream thesugarpixie April 10, 2017 Slow Cooker Black Bean and Sweet Potato Burritos with Avocado Cream 2017-04-10T15:31:56-04:00 Recipes The last time we visited my brother and sister in law they made this great meal that tasted great after hours on the road. I double the recipe but not the spices. I used fresh corn since it is in season and wrapped my burrito up with spinach, salsa, cheese and a little plain yogurt in place of the sour cream. Place all ingredients, except the tortillas into the slow cooker. Both were fabulous. 10 min. Place the beans, onion half, bay leaf, garlic, 2 teaspoons kosher salt, pepper flakes (if using), and olive oil (if using) into a slow cooker. This is very timely as I just got myself a new slow cooker. Depending on your timeframe, either cook the mixture on low for 6-8 hours or on high for 3-4 hours. (Feel free to use whatever technique you prefer here.). Cover and cook on LOW for 4 hours or until barley is tender and liquid is absorbed. Stir up the ingredients so they are well combined. i’ve used them as a side, and in a quick vegetarian sloppy joe. I can’t believe I waited this long to cook black beans this way. Place 5 burritos in the bottom of your slow cooker. Spoon some beans onto the tortilla. 1 teaspoon will not make for especially spicy beans, but there will be a nice kick. Meanwhile, stir together sour cream, cilantro, and lime juice in a small bowl. In the meantime have an amazing weekend! Stir in 1/4 cup cilantro. (If you use larger tortillas, you can go with about 1/2 cup of filling. My slow cooker black beans landed in these sweet potato burritos, a combination of two recipes: the filling for these sweet potato quesadillas, a longtime favorite recipe, and these homemade flour tortillas, a recipe I had not made in ages prior to this week, but which, like the dried beans, reminded me how much fun from-scratch cooking — sometimes — can be. MyRecipes is a registered trademark of Meredith Corporation All Rights Reserved.

The rotate the tortilla so the filling is running left to right. A fantastic recipe for the slow cooker and vegan too, Rebecca. Actually to be honest Mexican burritos do often contain beans (mainly refried beans) and some meat, but when you make and taste these meat free vegan burritos I think you’ll agree that we don’t need meat to make a perfect Mexican burritos recipe. These went down well and I recommend to anyone. I love these beans so much, and my kids actually prefer pinto beans, so we’ve been making a lot of those lately. Here, instead of chicken or steak which is what American burritos normally consist of, I’ve opted to use the more simple, traditional Mexican burritos filling made of beans thus saving us all some pennies. Required fields are marked *. I only had a 1/2 cup barley so I reduced the chicken stock to 1 cup and it worked fine! You see not only is this a wonderfully easy and filling family recipe but it doesn’t break the bank either. this link is to an external site that may or may not meet accessibility guidelines. Advertisement. 2 cups fat-free, lower-sodium organic vegetable broth or chicken broth, 1 (15-ounce) can lower-sodium black beans, rinsed and drained, 1 (10-ounce) can diced tomatoes and green chiles, undrained, 3 ounces shredded reduced-fat sharp cheddar cheese (about 3/4 cup), Back to Barley, Black Bean, and Corn Burritos. I couldn’t agree more regarding the slow cooker: for beans alone it is worthwhile owning. How much water should I use? The only concern would be for a very “fresh” dried bean that might get over cooked in the process, but I think that would be very unusual.

Hoping this week is going well for you and Lady Lynne! Personally, I … Bread enthusiast.

Ha ha. Are there beans that wouldn’t work with this method? Spoon 2/3 cup barley mixture down center of each tortilla. Wonderful to hear this, Christine! . (Note: I cook the onions, garlic, and sometimes add some green salsa, before I put them in the crock pot. Notify me of followup comments via e-mail. I’m presently eating them cold straight from their quart container. Cook on high heat for 6 to 8 hours or until the beans are done. I’ve used the minimum amount of ingredients in this slow cooker budget bean burritos recipe.

If you love this recipe, please consider giving it a star rating when you post a comment. Sign up here and you're in. I won’t miss the meat in this one bit – and, I might just forgo the burritos and eat this up with a spoon – hold the bowl – I’ll dig right into the slow cooker! I heated a skillet over medium heat and warmed up my tortillas so that they were easier to fold. I added some mashed avocado and shredded cheese to mine. Vegetable lover. Here’s what you’ll need: Sour cream & Avocados (optional, for topping), 2 14.5 ounce cans of black beans, Taco Seasoning, Vegetable or Chicken broth (I opted for chicken so that I could control the sodium more), Whole Wheat Tortillas, 2 14.5 ounce cans of diced tomatoes, Brown Rice, 1/2 cup of Corn (you can use fresh, canned or frozen here), your favorite Salsa, and Shredded Cheese (optional, for topping). Top with remaining ingredients except for tortillas and cheese.

Stir well and cover. My meat-loving husband also finds these beans incredibly satistfying. 2 cans (14.5 oz. Made the IP version of these and they are DELISH! Pour second can of sauce over the top. If you don’t have a slow cooker then you might want to think about purchasing one (details below!). These are perfect after 8 hours on low in my slow cooker. Cover with 8 cups of water. Thanks so much, Alexandra! And you can follow me too via your favourite social channels :-. Using said beans for your enchilada recipe tonight, can’t wait! 4. This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. ), You can get creative and top the filling with extras if you’d like. They smelled amazing cooking and tasted even better. My family really enjoyed this. Ingredients:

And the chili flakes give it a nice layer of heat. I turned mine slow cooker to a low setting. Thought you would like it. i picked up a bag of dried black beans for less than $1 earlier this year, and finally tried out this technique. Not only that they’re freezer friendly too. Add water and olive oil (optional), then close the lid. https://www.myrecipes.com/recipe/slow-cooker-beef-and-bean-burritos Have a great weekend too! I didn’t do the pepper flakes, did some smoked paprika instead.

To your slow cooker add in the 2 cans of tomatoes (including juice), 1/4 cup of salsa, 2 tablespoons of taco seasoning, 2 cans of black beans that have been drained and rinsed, 1/2 cup of corn, 1 cup of uncooked brown rice, and 2 cups of broth. Learn More…. Filed Under: Dinner, Recipes, Vegetarian Dinner Tagged With: chopped tomatoes, mexican beans, slow cooker, I do love burritos! If you want to lower the carbs, you can eat this filling on top of some mixed greens, with some salsa, guac, and cheese on top. 3. I'm Kelli, a Midwestern girl at heart who loves to cook and travel (of course). Whether you're cooking for yourself or for a family, these easy dinners are sure to leave everyone satisfied and stress-free. If you're looking for a simple recipe to simplify your weeknight, you've come to the right place--easy dinners are our specialty. Friendly reminder: you can mix your dough now, and, A butternut squash arrived in the farm share last, Add water and olive oil, if you wish. © Copyright 2020 Meredith Corporation. Al good in tacos & with chicken or pulled pork , Oh Theresa! Olive oil is something I always add to my slow-cooker cooked beans (. I am going to make the vegetarian chili again this week. Reviews: Most Helpful Most Helpful Most Positive Least Positive Newest. Layer sweet potato, beans, half of chili powder mix, garlic, onion, jalapeno pepper, green pepper, remaining half of chili powder mix and corn in slow cooker. Then fold the sides of the burrito into the center and roll the torilla closed. These are the best beans. Will definitely add to weeknight rotations! Wonderful to hear this, Hina! Instructions. I am doing a bit of travelling over the next few days so will go ahead and tell ya have a wonderful weekend! Taste. Cover and cook on LOW for 4 hours or until barley is tender and liquid is absorbed. P.S. In fact now that you’ve mentioned them, I think I’d like one of those fillings pretty soon! 1 cup uncooked Brown Rice Chicken and Spinach Enchiladas. Using your slow cooker to make these delicious bean burritos you’ll be able to get on with other things whilst they’re bubbling away in the background. Required fields are marked *.

I am an admirer of your blog and have made several of your recipes. 2 cups vegetable broth (or chicken broth) So many wonderful comments about this recipe, including yours, thanks Shashi! Pepper flakes: if you like a little bit of spice, add the the chili flakes; if you don’t, omit or use less. I like the olive oil. 10 min.

14 %. Place first 11 ingredients in a 3- to 4-quart electric slow cooker; stir well. You’re looking for the rice to be tender and the majority of the liquid should be absorbed. each) of Diced Tomatoes or about 5 fresh tomatoes to measure about 28 ounces Don’t miss future updates and new recipes. Don’t be afraid to make these ahead of time, as they continue to develop more flavor as the beans sit in their cooking liquid. How many quarts is your slow cooker?

DIRECTIONS Combine Chili powder, oregano, and cumin in small bowl and set aside. Then fold up the bottom edge of the burrito to about 1-1/2 inches over the filling. Filed Under: Main Dishes Tagged With: Black Beans, brown, Corn, Crock-Pot, Salsa, Your email address will not be published. 6. There was a beautiful clear blue sky above. My husband was excited because he thought I was making carnitas by the smell but he wasn’t disappointed after he tasted them. Quick and simple. Facebook, Pinterest, Twitter, Instagram, Bloglovin & YouTube. Neil’s Healthy Meals is where I create delicious quick healthy recipes and fabulous cheesecakes based on the 80/20 rule for eating.