These two principles, race-specific training and enhancement of recovery, remain relevant today. Examining the history of mile and 1,500-meter training is useful to modern runners and coaches because it helps provide an understanding of why mile or 1,500 meter performances have improved so dramatically over the years. The Swedish runner Arne Andersson ran a 4:01.6 in 1944; the next year, his countryman Gunder Hägg sliced two-tenths of a second from the world record. This workout is similar to the lactate-stacker session (chapter 32) except that the slightly longer recoveries (3 minutes instead of 2) permit a faster running pace. 2. But to define a coaching philosophy and set goals, you must first understand and express why you coach and what principles will guide how you coach. 52. G. Harbig, Unvergessener Rudolf Harbig (Berlin, 1956). 7–15. Bannister is said to have achieved his speed through scientific training methods and thorough research into the mechanics of running. A handbook for athletes (London, 1888). 47–64. Bannister ran, not for personal glory, but instead “so that others might follow.” Within four years of his 1954 race, sixteen other athletes ran the mile in under four minutes. 73. C. Nelson, The Jim Ryun story (Los Altos, CA, 1967). To move into the lead means making an attack requiring fierceness and confidence, but fear must play some part in the last stage, when no relaxation is possible and all discretion is thrown to the winds.”. 201–31; Krüger, ‘Periodization or peaking’. His father, a civil servant, had been a runner, of sorts: He won his school mile, Bannister … Lydiard, Run the Lydiard way, p. 73; for the (neuro)physiological side see P.V. 22. After his family had been evacuated to the city of Bath, he earned acceptance at school by winning cross-country races. Bannister, The first four minutes, p. 45. 41. Roger Bannister lived a life “of endless unfolding.” Not only is he one of the “100 greatest sports heroes,” he is a role model for us all. See C. Chataway, ‘Preface’ in: F. Stampfl, Franz Stampfl on running, 8th edn. I remember it well. Eight years after setting the mile record and seeing it surpassed during the war years by the Swedish runners Arne Andersson and Gunder Hägg, Wooderson regained his old form and challenged Andersson over the distance in several races. Then Chataway took the lead, and after three quarters, the time was 3:00.7. A. dal Monte, M. Faina et al., ‘Il consumo massimo d'ossigeno in telemetria’, Revista di Cultura Sportiva, 8 (15) (1989), pp. Read more from Running Science by Owen Anderson. 3. "I don’t know, Mom, I just feel burned out." 33. 41, R.G. Meyer (ed. Une histoire de théoriciens?’ (dissertation, Université Lyon I, 2003), for whom the place of the training and the profession of the person who developed a theory determine whether a training is ‘scientific’ or not. By potentialities I mean not just intellectual gifts but the full range of one's capacities for learning, sensing, wondering, understanding, loving and aspiring.”, Bannister, Chavez writes, “always felt more proud of his accomplishments in medicine than his work on the track.” Bannister “became a world renowned neurologist” and “was knighted in 1975 for his work in researching the failures of the autonomic nervous system.”. The idea at the heart of this passage — that you must seize the right moment or risk its passing forever — was very much a factor in Bannister’s record-setting run. Popper, Realism and the aim of science (London, 1983); K.L. Quoted in Wilt, How they train, vol. The meet in Oxford was Bannister’s first in eight months, and he had been training seriously for six of them. 45. J. Germain and A. Willemet, ‘Le sport et l'intelligence. 149–53. 86. He is the author of The Inner-Work of Leadership. So as far as I’m concerned, that was one of the great runs of all time.”, Tall and lanky with a long, forceful stride and a blond head that usually bobbed above his competitors’ in a race, Bannister was a gentleman athlete with a philosophical turn of mind.